Members get information about when streams/downloads become available, as well as accessing podcast RSS feeds for freely-available content to make listening to great shows a breeze, Register Here
BBC radio productions of Dostoevsky’s masterpieces, plus selected shorter fiction and bonus programmes exploring his life and work
One of the most important and influential Russian writers of the 19th Century, Fyodor Dostoevsky is admired worldwide for his great realist novels, exploring questions of morality, philosophy and the nature of existence. This compilation contains the BBC radio productions of his four most famous novels – as well as three lesser-known works and two bonus documentaries – collected together for the first time.
Crime and Punishment – When he tests out a horrific theory, young Raskolnikov finds himself pursued by the cunning investigator Porfiry Petrovich. This thrilling tale of guilt and redemption stars Barnaby Kay and Jim Norton.
The Idiot – Arriving back in Russia after years spent abroad treating his epilepsy, Prince Mishkin learns the story of the woman who will dominate his life – the spoilt but captivating Nastasya… Dostoevsky’s most personal novel stars Paul Rhys, Roger Allam and Lia Williams.
Devils – Idealism curdles into murderous anarchy in this fresh, contemporary 3-part adaptation of Dostoevsky’s terrifying masterpiece, starring Gary Lilburn, Jane Whittenshaw, Joseph Arkley and Jonathan Forbes.
The Brothers Karamazov- The Karamazov family reunite for a meeting with their father to discuss Dmitry’s inheritance. But the unpredictable Fyodor seems unwilling to play the game…. Stars Roy Marsden, Paul Hilton and Nicholas Boulton.
The Friend of the Family – Russia, 1859, and the Manor of Stephanchikovo is thrown into chaos when a former sergeant sets himself up as an arbiter of morals and taste. David Suchet and Clive Merrison star in this farcical comedy.
Bobok – Loitering in the cemetery after a funeral, a drunken writer overhears the conversations of the recently deceased corpses… This blackly comic short story is performed by Boris Isarov.
Dream of a Ridiculous Man – A study in music and words of Dostoevsky’s vision of an idyllic, prelapsarian world. Read by Ronald Pickup.
Dostoevsky and Dangerous Ideas – John Gray reflects on the lessons Dostoevsky’s novels teach us about the perils of misguided idealism.
Dr Rowan Williams on Dostoevsky – The onetime Archbishop of Canterbury joins Susan Hitch to consider conflicting ideas about spiritual regeneration and existentialism, as embodied in Dostoevsky’s characters.
- 01 – Introduction
- 02 – Crime and Punishment – Introduction
- 03 – Crime and Punishment – Episode 1
- 04 – Crime and Punishment – Episode 2
- 05 – Crime and Punishment – Episode 3
- 06 – The Idiot – Introduction
- 07 – The Idiot – Episode 1
- 08 – The Idiot – Episode 2
- 09 – The Idiot – Episode 3
- 10 – The Idiot – Episode 4
- 11 – Devils – Introduction
- 12 – Devils – Episode 1
- 13 – Devils – Episode 2
- 14 – Devils – Episode 3
- 15 – The Brothers Karamazov – Introduction
- 16 – The Brothers Karamazov – Episdoe 1
- 17 – The Brothers Karamazov – Episode 2
- 18 – The Brothers Karamazov – Episode 3
- 19 – The Brothers Karamazov – Episode 4
- 20 – The Brothers Karamazov – Episode 5
- 21 – The Friend of the Famil
- 22 – Bobok
- 23 – Dream of a Ridiculous Man
- 24 – Dostoevsky and Dangerous Ideas
- 25 – Dr Rowan Williams on Dostoevsky