Members get information about when streams/downloads become available, as well as accessing podcast RSS feeds for freely-available content to make listening to great shows a breeze, Register Here
One of the greatest English authors of the 19th century, George Eliot is renowned for her realistic storytelling and insight into the human psyche. This BBC Radio collection presents dramatisations of her five most famous novels, as well as an exploration of her life through her fictional characters.
Summer, 1799, and in the Staffordshire village of Hayslope, one of Lisbeth Bede’s sons has marriage on his mind…. Eliot’s haunting story of love betrayed and rewarded stars Thomas Arnold and Victoria Liddelle.
The Mill on the Floss
Free-spirited country girl Maggie Tulliver must look outside the love of her own family to find the fulfilment she craves. This classic tale of rejection and reconciliation stars Deborah Findlay, Jasmine Hyde, Tom Goodman-Hill and David Tennant.
Reclusive, embittered miser Silas Marner finds salvation when he fosters a little foundling girl – but his life with Eppie is threatened when her biological father makes a claim on her…. Starring George Costigan and Rebecca Callard.
In 1830s England, passionate idealist Dorothea Brooke yearns to right society’s wrongs. Starring Caroline Martin, Robert Glenister and Roger Allam.
From the moment their eyes meet across a packed gaming room, Gwendolen Harleth and Daniel Deronda are irresistibly drawn to one another – and their fates become eternally and tragically entwined. Starring Anna Chancellor and Michael Perceval-Maxwell.
In George Eliot: A Life in Five Characters, presenter Kathryn Hughes paints a portrait of the author through her key characters, as she talks to Eliot’s biographer Philip Davis and authors Tessa Hadley, Sarah Moss, Sathnam Sangera, David Constantine and Kathy O’Shaughnessy.
Felix Holt, the Radical
Two young men return home determined to make a life under the radical banner. New doubt is cast on Esther’s parentage. Meanwhile, electioneering fever is mounting. New doubt is cast on Esther’s parentage. Meanwhile, electioneering fever is mounting.
- S01E01 – Adam Debe – Captain and the Milkmaid
- S01E02 – Adam Debe – A Shocking Crime
- S01E03 – Adam Debe – A Struggle with the Soul
- S02E01 – The Mill On The Floss – Boy and Girl
- S02E02 – The Mill On The Floss – Home and School
- S02E03 – The Mill On The Floss – Home and Work
- S02E04 – The Mill On The Floss – Loss and Love
- S02E05 – The Mill On The Floss – Loving and Losing
- S03E01 – Silas Marner – Trials and Tribulations
- S03E02 – Silas Marner – Secrets and Treasures
- S04E01 – Middlemarch – A Study of Provincial Life
- S04E02 – Middlemarch – Something More Unmanageable than a Dragon
- S04E03 – Middlemarch – A Terrible Optimism
- S04E04 – Middlemarch – Vanishing from Daylight
- S04E05 – Middlemarch – Unconcerned as a Jellyfish
- S04E06 – Middlemarch – A Key to Understanding
- S04E07 – Middlemarch – False Expectations
- S04E08 – Middlemarch – A Small Part of An Avalanche
- S04E09 – Middlemarch – An Unexpected Electricity
- S04E10 – Middlemarch – The Whispering Gallery
- S04E11 – Middlemarch – Please, Remember Me
- S04E12 – Middlemarch – The Convergence of Human Lots
- S05E01 – Daniel Deronda – Attraction
- S05E02 – Daniel Deronda – Marriage
- S05E03 – Daniel Deronda – Tensions
- S06E01 – A Life in Five Characters
- S06E02 – A Life in Five Characters
- S06E03 – A Life in Five Characters
- S06E04 – A Life in Five Characters
- S06E05 – A Life in Five Characters
- S07E01 – Felix Holt, the Radical
- S07E02 – Felix Holt, the Radical
- S07E03 – Felix Holt, the Radical