Rudy’s Rare Records is a tiny, down-at-heel reggae and ska record shop in Birmingham. It is one of a dying breed, a place with real soul and stacked with piles of vinyl where the slogan is “If we don’t have it – them don’t mek it.”
Rudy’s Rare Records is a tiny down-at-heel old reggae record shop in Birmingham. It’s one of a dying breed; a place with real soul, stacked with piles of vinyl, where the slogan is “if we don’t have it – them don’t mek it”. It’s owned by the charismatic, irrepressible Rudy Sharpe (Larrington Walker), reluctantly helped out by his long-suffering neurotic son Adam (Lenny Henry) and Handsworth’s first, black, surly girly goth, Tasha (Natasha Godfrey).
Four years ago, Adam was forced to leave behind his life in London after being hit with divorce, redundancy and a nervous breakdown. Now he finds himself trapped in the confines of the dusty old record shop that his father has owned since the 1960s, both of them sharing the miniscule flat upstairs and adapting to occasional sightings of his 19-year-old student son, Richie (Joe Jacobs), who’s also a constant source of worry for Adam.
Now Rudy’s remarried, making an honest woman of his canny, sixty-something girlfriend Doreen (Claire Benedict) and, with the combination of the senior-citizen lovebirds and Rudy’s lifelong friend Clifton (Jeffery Kissoon) dropping in to chat music, women and rum, Adam is the odd one out – a classical music fan in a reggae shop; a man who’d rather have a Waitrose sea bass than Jerk chicken.
With Rudy’s chaotic approach of “if it ain’t on the shelf, it’s on the floor” clashing with Adam’s post-breakdown need for calm and order, the shop becomes a battleground with both men wanting to run things the way they think it should be done. Forced into finding a way to survive each other’s company, Rudy’s Rare Records celebrates an old man and a man in the midst of a mid-life crisis bickering, snickering, breaking-up and making-up to the shop’s foot-tapping soundtrack.
- S01E01 – Take Me Home, Country Roads (12.8Mb)
- S01E02 – Roots Manoeuvres (12.8Mb)
- S01E03 – Get Up, Stand Up (12.9Mb)
- S01E04 – The Heart Of Saturday Night (12.8Mb)
- S02E01 – Ill Communication (12.9Mb)
- S02E02 – Oh Carolina (12.8Mb)
- S02E03 – Daddy Cool (12.8Mb)
- S02E04 – Ride With Me (12.8Mb)
- S03E01 – No Richie, No Cry (12.9Mb)
- S03E02 – It’s A Family Affair (12.9Mb)
- S03E03 – Redemption Song (12.9Mb)
- S03E04 – Rudy’s Rare Record (12.9Mb)
- S03E05 – Lights Out (12.8Mb)
- S03E06 – Girls And Boys (12.8Mb)
- S04E01 – Three’s A Crowd (12.8Mb)
- S04E02 – Best Local Business (12.7Mb)
- S04E03 – Let It Grow (12.8Mb)
- S04E04 – It’s Grim Up North (12.7Mb)
- S04E05 – Miss Reenie Comes to Stay (12.7Mb)
- S04E06 – Sound Of Da Police (12.8Mb)