Members get information about when streams/downloads become available, as well as accessing podcast RSS feeds for freely-available content to make listening to great shows a breeze, Register Here
David Quantick presents everything you need to know about music in easily digestible small chunks
A light-hearted guide to music. David Quantick looks at Detroit, including unheard footage of John Lee Hooker accepting his Employee of the Month award at the Ford car plant and a sneak preview of Britney Spears’ new perfume advert.
The Blagger’s Guide is a British series of comical documentaries on specific music genres, originally broadcast on BBC Radio 2. Not all the information presented in the programme are facts. Some items have been exaggerated for comic effect. The series works on a monologue style, with clips of music inserted for illustrational purposes.
It is presented as a spoof documentary and therefore there is no laugh track. The series originally ran from 20 August 2005 – 24 April 2009. The current series looked at the 2012 Olympics and in late 2012 there followed specials on The Beatles and James Bond.
The first two series focused on rock and pop music, and the third featured classical music. A live jazz special was recorded in 2010.
The series is narrated by David Quantick, who co-wrote the series with Simon Poole. It also featured Lewis MacLeod and Kate O’Sullivan.
David Quantick presents a lighthearted guide to music, in which not every fact is a truth.
In the first two series, The Blagger’s Guide aimed to provide an encyclopaedia guide to rock and pop. Entries on artists, movements and places as diverse as Sheffield, Folk, Stadium Rock, Stax and Madonna all featured.
The third series switched to looking at The Classics – Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky and music of that ilk.
Series four, lengthened to eight episodes, returned to the topics of rock and pop. Whilst in the 2008 series David Quantick looked to teach us more about Country music.
The six-part 2009 series presented ‘facts’ about jazz, and 2012’s series looks at the Olympic Games.
There have been various one-off specials since.
- S01E01 – Popular Music – Motown, Goths, 2 Tone, Liverpool
- S01E02 – Popular Music – Punk Rock, David Bowie, Ireland
- S01E03 – Popular Music – White Reggae, Nirvana, Britpop, Elvis Presley
- S01E04 – Popular Music – Disco, Word Music, London, Heavy Metal
- S01E05 – Popular Music – Prog Rock, Kate Bush, Funk, Manchester
- S01E06 – Popular Music – Girl Groups, Rock Opera, New Wave, Brian Eno
- S02E01 – Popular Music – The Midlands, Electronic Music, Morrissey
- S02E02 – Popular Music – The Rolling Stones, Reggae, The New Romantics
- S02E03 – Popular Music – Stax Records, Madonna, Scotland
- S02E04 – Popular Music – Velvet Underground, Los Angeles, Stadium Rock
- S02E05 – Popular Music – Beach Boys, Political Pop, Sheffield
- S02E06 – Popular Music – Folk Music, Wales, Paul McCartney
- S03E01 – The Classics – Beethoven, Woodwinds, Opera
- S03E02 – The Classics – Bach, Trendy Electronic Classics
- S03E03 – The Classics – Tchaikovsky, Strings, The Waltz
- S03E04 – The Classics – Elgar, Mood, Modern Classical
- S04E01 – Popular Music – Arctic Monkeys, Seattle, P-Funk
- S04E02 – Popular Music – Detroit, Britney Spears, Krautrock
- S04E03 – Popular Music – Skinheads, Gary Numan, New York Dolls
- S04E04 – Popular Music – Led Zeppelin, Surf Music, Bristol
- S04E05 – Popular Music – The Stone Roses, Phil Spector, Texas
- S04E06 – Popular Music – Love, Australia, Americana
- S04E07 – Popular Music – Bruce Springsteen, Early British Rock, West London
- S04E08 – Popular Music – Primal Scream, Folk Rock, Sex Pistols
- S05E01 – Country Music – Hank Williams, Louisiana, Patsy Cline
- S05E02 – Country Music – Relationships, Willie Nelson
- S05E03 – Country Music – Johnny Cash, Booze, The Bakersfield Sound
- S05E04 – Country Music – Dolly Parton, Political Songs, George Strait
- S05ESP – Bob Dylan
- S06E01 – Jazz – Duke Ellington, The Saxophone, Bop
- S06E02 – Jazz – Louis Armstrong, The Trumpet, The Roots Of Jazz.
- S06E03 – Jazz – Miles Davies, Swing, Jazz Piano.
- S06E04 – Jazz – Vocal Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Experimental Musician Sun Ra
- S06E05 – Jazz – Billie Holiday, Jazz Bass, Free Jazz
- S06E06 – Jazz – Nina Simone, Drums, Latin Jazz
- S06ESP – James Bond
- S07E01 – The Games – 1948 Olympics and Gymnastics
- S07E02 – The Games – British Etiquette and 1980 Moscow Olympics
- S07E03 – The Games – 1936 Berlin Olympics
- S07E04 – The Games – Olympic Mascots
- S07ESP – Doctor Who
- S07ESP – Eurovision
- S07ESP – The Beatles
- S07ESP – The Guitar