Members get information about when streams/downloads become available, as well as accessing podcast RSS feeds for freely-available content to make listening to great shows a breeze, Register Here
The world-famous cosmologist and #1 bestselling author of A Brief History of Time leaves us with his final thoughts on the universe’s biggest questions in this brilliant posthumous work.
Is there a God?
How did it all begin?
Can we predict the future?
What is inside a black hole?
Is there other intelligent life in the universe?
Will artificial intelligence outsmart us?
How do we shape the future?
Will we survive on Earth?
Should we colonise space?
Is time travel possible?
Throughout his extraordinary career, Stephen Hawking expanded our understanding of the universe and unravelled some of its greatest mysteries. But even as his theoretical work on black holes, imaginary time and multiple histories took his mind to the furthest reaches of space, Hawking always believed that science could also be used to fix the problems on our planet.
And now, as we face potentially catastrophic changes here on Earth – from climate change to dwindling natural resources to the threat of artificial super-intelligence – Stephen Hawking turns his attention to the most urgent issues for humankind.
Wide-ranging, intellectually stimulating, passionately argued, and infused with his characteristic humour, BRIEF ANSWERS TO THE BIG QUESTIONS, the final book from one of the greatest minds in history, is a personal view on the challenges we face as a human race, and where we, as a planet, are heading next.
- 01 – Title & Credits
- 02 – A Note from the Publisher
- 03 – An Introduction by Kip Thorne (n. Garrick Hagon)
- 04 – Why We Must Ask the Big Questions
- 05 – Chapter 01 Is There a God
- 06 – Chapter 02 How Did it All Begin
- 07 – Chapter 03 Is There Other Intelligent Life in the Universe
- 08 – Chapter 04 Can We Predict the Future
- 09 – Chapter 05 What Is Inside a Black Hole
- 10 – Chapter 06 Is Time Travel Possible
- 11 – Chapter 07 Will We Survive on Earth
- 12 – Chapter 08 Should We Colonise Space
- 13 – Chapter 09 Will Artificial Intelligence Outsmart Us
- 14 – Chapter 10 How Do We Shape the Future
- 15 – Afterword by Lucy Hawking (n. Lucy Hawking)
- 16 – End Credits